This white paper aims to fill the knowledge gap concerning dementia on various topics including evidence for supporting the early detection and early diagnosis, to investigate the current situation, and to offer opportunities for interested parties, health professionals, researchers engaged in the field of dementia, policymakers, and NGO personnel to further deepen their understanding of the importance of early detection and diagnosis.
- “A Social Prescription for Dementia-Enabling Early Detection and Diagnoses through the Building of a Dementia-friendly Community”
It is important to increase the number of diet members that have a strong interest in dementia and possess correct awareness and understanding of the current situation in order to implement further measures in the future in addition to the “Comprehensive Strategy to Accelerate Dementia Measures (New Orange Plan)”. HGPI supports the management of the Diet Study Group on Dementia, which is a voluntary, regular and non-partisan study group headed by House of Representatives member Hayato Suzuki.
First session of the Diet Study Group on Dementia (February 27, 2018)
- “The Current State of Dementia in Japan – Building a Dementia-friendly Society” Mr. Yuto Tokuda (Director of Dementia Friendship Club NGO)
- “Community Support for People with Dementia and their Families” Mr. Takahiro Sugiyama (Vice-director of Alzheimer’s Association Japan – Director of Kanagawa branch)
Second session of the Diet Study Group on Dementia (March 27, 2018)
- “Listening to the Voices of People with Dementia” Mr. Tomofumi Yamato (Member of the editor board of Asahi Weekly)
Third session of the Diet Study Group on Dementia (April 19, 2018)
- “Event Report on the Nikkei Financial Times-hosted Japan-UK Dementia Conference” Ms. Yuko Shiozaki (Executive officer and Head of Special Programs Section)
- “Event Report on a Meeting of the World Dementia Council” (Dr. Kiyoshi Kurokawa (HGPI Chairman and member of the World Dementia Council)
- “The Future of Dementia Care” Dr. Yoshimasa Takase (President of Takase Clinic)
Fourth session of the Diet Study Group on Dementia (May 31, 2018)
- “Frontline Research on Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia” Mr. Takeshi Iwatsubo (Professor at the Department of Neuropathology at the Graduate School of Medicine in the University of Tokyo)
Fifth session of the Diet Study Group on Dementia (June 26, 2018)
- “What I myself had dementia?” Mr. Takayuki Maeda (Psychiatric Social Workers, President of “Let’s make Machida an open town” NPO; Member of the board of directors of Young onset dementia support center NPO; Member of the advisory board of Dementia friendship club NPO; Member of the board of directors of Japan dementia working group general incorporated association)