- This activity started from stakeholder gatherings at Tohkamachi Health Center, in response to focused HIV/AIDS interventions by the national Government and the official launch of “Healthy Parents and Child 21.” It has been operational for more than 10 years.
Niigata Prefecture – Health Center Activities: Case Study 2
Tohkamachi Health Center and Maternal & Child Health Unit/Health Promotion Division at the Municipal Citizen Welfare Department
Overview of activities
■ Regular meetings for high school nurse-teachers
■ Deployment of lecturers to offer sexual health education
|Special Features of the Program||
Strengths of the Initiative
- Collaboration among different professionals
- Conducted as a joint project of the Health Center and the city Government.
- School nurse-teachers and lecturers (doctors/midwives) cooperate with each other to solve problems in the community.
- Providing supportive environment for students
- Students can feel comfortable with the topic and that it is easier to seek advice since the lecturers are local healthcare providers.
Current Issues of the Initiative
- Ensuring quality of the lecture
- Need training sessions for lecturers (obstetricians, midwives, public health nurses) to enable them to offer quality education catered to the needs of schools and students. (comment from the Health Center)
- Support to individual cases
- Although the deployment of lecturers is effective in improving overall knowledge levels, efforts are needed to strengthen support for individual issues. (comment from the city Government)
Direction for Future Development
- Ensuring quality of the lecturers
- There is a need to provide lecturers with opportunities to learn from each other, such as use of open lectures for the lecturers themselves. (comment from the Health Center)
- Close partnerships with nurse-teachers
- A system should be set up to provide personal counseling and support to students, in coordination with school nurse-teachers, using the access the city Government has to local information on pregnancy and delivery situation. (comment from the city Government)
- Since elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools conduct a consistent sexual education program, there is a need for OBGYN institutions, school nurses, and the local government to coordinate and discuss issues and measures.
Expectations for other stakeholders
- It is hoped that the national Government will provide places for students where they can access correct information, advice and support. (comment from the Health Center)
- It is would be desirable for schools to use a unified set of educational materials. (comment from the city Government)
- Health Center
- Community Health Division, Health and Welfare Department, Tohkamachi Regional Promotion Bureau, Niigata Prefecture
- City Government
- Health Promotion Division, Tohkamachi Municipal Citizen Welfare Department
Interview date: December 2017